Friday, September 14, 2007

nom de plume


We changed our blog name today.

"Clio's Classroom" was inspired by my daughter. Yes, the one I'm homeschooling. This week she said she thought her muse must be Clio, the muse of history, because history fascinates her so. This is a child whose idea of bedtime reading has been an encyclopedia, preferably a history encyclopedia, since about the age of five. Last time I checked, she was still nine years old.

I think this homeschooling thing must be agreeing with her. She's even more precocious than I realized. Maybe it's because I didn't get to spend the day watching her mind at work like I do now. Her teachers had the benefit of that experience and I'm not certain they shared all the details.

Whatever the case, embarking on a classically inspired education is certainly bringing out the best in her. I love it when I actually make a good decision. It makes up for all those times I've second guessed myself or wished I'd done it differently.

Anyway, in honor of the nymph Clio, daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne ("Memory"), born at Pieria, in Thrace, and nursed by Eupheme, as of today, we now learn together in Clio's Classroom.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Congratulations friend! I'm so glad things are going well for you and Clio. I knew this was your calling. Please share particulars. I love learning from you :)

Dawn said...

It sounds like it's agreeing with you as well!

concernedCTparent said...

Most definitely! It's exhausting but in a very good way. Oh yes, and I'm sleeping much better at night too.