Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ready, set, go

So, Im officially a home educator as of next week. On Tuesday. Bright and early. I've most certainly bitten off more than I can chew. That's about the only thing I know for certain.

It's just so hard to say no to interesting subjects and there are so very many of them.

I love books. Library books and paperbacks are wonderful, but there's something about placing a cherished hardcover book in my bookcase that makes my heart sing. I love to learn, so the prospect of immersing myself in study all over again probably earns me a lifetime membership in the geek club. I'm beginning to feel a little selfish here, but the reality is that I'm actually homeschooling for the benefit of my fifth grader. Really, it's not about me.

The plan is to add the other two children into the mix by next year. I know, I'm a wimp. I just didn't feel ready to take on all three at once. I've been afterschooling the older two for quite some time and after having my youngest spend a year in preschool I decided to do her pre-K myself this past year. I did a pretty decent job, if I do say so myself.

But still, I feel I'm making the best decision for all three of my children by focusing on one for now. She's at that age where things can really spiral out of control. Fifth grade... yikes! How did that happen so quickly?

I want her to love learning again. I want to coax her spark back because she is quite the sparkly one. Once I pass the newbie stage with flying colors, there's no stopping me and the younger two will transition in beautifully, right?

I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into despite all the reading and researching I did in preparation for this life-changing event. Nevertheless, we're starting on September 4th, ready or not ... get set, GO!

Stay tuned for more...

2 comments:

Tina said...

I share your same excitement of learning again alongside my child! I look forward to cracking open those lessons I vaguely remember as a child and hopefully helping their memories remain more vivid. I, too, fear I may have added too much out of my excitement. But how can we go wrong? We love our children fiercely and want the best for them. We are willing to go the extra mile no matter what it takes. What school can compete with that?

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.